An experienced Data Engineer, with exposure to Business Intelligence tools/processes, is required to work on a variety of critical projects surrounding product and brands. As the owner and architect of the technical infrastructure that powers the reporting & analytics functions, this position will be instrumental in defining the role that data plays in their ability to generate insights into markets, brand and business performance.
The Agency is responsible for many global and regional clients’ media activities. They are increasingly involved in ensuring that all media activity is delivered following best practise guidelines, at a minimum. They underpin this with complex and detailed processes and rules from a data architecture and storage foundation. They require an experienced candidate with a high degree of skill in data structures, with experience in the media environment, to not only devise and support these processes but also ensure that these are best developed for scalability throughout the region of EMEA and beyond.
This role would ideally be best suited to someone who has spent time in cloud-based data structures (configuring & managing data repositories) and understands the dependencies & complexities of joining together disparate data sources in one environment to enable business decisions. One of the outputs of this role will be making data accessible to data engineering personnel, account teams and a team of visualisation specialists.
The role consists of two main functions:
Data Engineering & Architecture
The development, maintenance and review of data repositories through ETL automation, in Google Cloud Platform, for the purpose of:
- Creating a consistent, and persistent, view of client data in an easy to access & interrogate manner
- Developing best practice for data management & data exports
- Upskilling the relevant teams to increase data literacy and capability
- Enabling and empowering technical teams (internally & externally) to handle complex data sets
In understanding the practical business use cases of data and keeping them front of mind in design and build, to drive decisions and shape conversations at the strategic level, this role is expected to work closely with the visualisation & analyst functions in the agency.
As this function underpins the agency’s ability to demonstrate success the role requires a candidate who can travel internationally 10% of the time.
KEY CLIENT: Various
REPORTING TO: Data & Technology Director
What does the role involve?
As well as demonstrating that you have successfully implemented data platform solutions in areas such as social media, telecommunications, security, government, retail and financial services (backed by an analytical mindset), the day to day of the role will include:
- Building, updating, optimising and automating data flows
- Interactions with various Google Cloud projects, specifically in BigQuery
- Scoping out the requirements and project managing end-to-end solutions
- Providing documentation in the form of user & training guides
- Collaboration with the digital leads, business leads and relevant parties (such as external agencies) to drive operational efficiencies in ad-serving, reporting and analytics
- Automate the aggregation and storing of media and analytics data (from the likes of Google CM/BigQuery/DV360/GA360)
- QA and iteration on rules to achieve high-quality data
- Linking taxonomy to Google Analytics data (traffic and event tracking) to enable compliance dashboards
- Owning the architecture structures to make reporting solutions scalable, insightful & efficient
- Forming a strong relationship with the Data Engineering team ensuring data runs on time and accurately, has a great roadmap, and infrastructure is optimal for client & business use
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Experience of ETL process (through software like Cloud Data Prep, Alteryx or similar)
- Google Analytics / BigQuery / Cloud Platform
- Extensive experience with database design and querying (eg SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Big Query)
- Excel/Google Sheets
- University Degree (or international equivalent)
- 3+ years digital media experience, working for a media or creative agency in reporting or data governance
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve numerical and technical problems
- Data visualisation software (Tableau, Power BI, etc)
- Scoping out requirements and project management
What will you bring to the role?
In addition to your demonstratable technical skills, your great (written & verbal) communication skills, high attention to detail, and ability to work (calmly) under pressure, we are also expecting you to add to our growing team with the following qualities:
- Experiential knowledge of the Google stack & analytics packages
- An excellent theoretical and practical understanding of the end-to-end digital ecosystem, especially digital media buying
- Strong troubleshooting skills to enable quick identification data inaccuracies
- A reasonable awareness of ad-serving technologies globally with an understanding of EU legislation
- Exceptional customer facing skills including presentation, pre-sales support, proposal writing and business proposition development.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with an ability to develop relationships across markets and agencies ensuring cooperative and collaborative spirit
We will be very pleased to see you with working knowledge of other ad servers such as: Adform, Sizmek and other specialists and as well as the ability to confidently convey complex and technical specifications and capabilities to a varied of audience – especially where priorities have shifted and trade-offs impact timescales to stakeholders.
If you are comfortable holding conversations across various tiers of seniority and technical ability then you will enjoy working in a cross-functional digital team comprised of digital specialists, business leads at global & regional levels with direct access to the decision makers within the agency.
If your experience also includes creating solutions to solve cross channel reporting and attribution, then we will love to hear from you.